Saturday, February 25, 2012

Why Is It Okay To Kill Unborn Children, But Not Born Children?

By Pastor Bruce Oyen
E-mail: bk_oyen@hotmail.com

     

         I live in Centralia, WA. Local news sources recently (February, 2012) reported on the sentencing of a young woman who had murderd her newborn child. She was sentenced to prison for 30 years. No doubt, we all agree that what she did was a horrible thing, and that she deserves her sentence. But can anyone give a truly reasonable explanation of why it is legal to kill  unborn children by abortion? One common explanation is that a "fetus" is not a person.
    Well, here (in red) is a dictionary definition of the word "fetus." It is found on this website http://www.merriam-webster.com/. It says a fetus is "an unborn or unhatched vertebrate, especially after attaining the basic structural plan of its kind; specifically: a developing human from usually two months after conception to birth." Perhaps reading that definition a few times will make some readers change their mind about abortion being acceptable.
    Both the unborn and the born should be treated with dignity. The Bible, which is God's Word, says the human race was created in the image of God. Those who look at life from a Biblical perspective understand that murder, including murder of the unborn and the born, no matter what their age, is not only an affront to the human race, but also to God who created us.
    It would be good for some readers to read the first two chapters of the Bible's first book, called "Genesis." A link to chapter 1 is given below. And it would be good for them to read the 139th chapter of the Bible's "Book Of Psalms." Perhaps reading these Biblical chapters a few times will make some readers change their mind about abortion being acceptable.
   The 139th Psalm is given below. The quote, including the introduction and footnotes to this Psalm, was taken from a website, and  is in red. The website is given after the Psalm itself.

Psalm 139

New King James Version (NKJV)

God’s Perfect Knowledge of Man

For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.

139 O Lord, You have searched me and known me.
You know my sitting down and my rising up;
You understand my thought afar off.
You comprehend my path and my lying down,
And are acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
You have hedged me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high, I cannot attain it.
Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall[a] on me,”
Even the night shall be light about me;
12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;[b]
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.
17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
When I awake, I am still with You.
19 Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God!
Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.
20 For they speak against You wickedly;
Your enemies take Your name in vain.[c]
21 Do I not hate them, O Lord, who hate You?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
24 And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.
Footnotes:
  1. Psalm 139:11 Vulgate and Symmachus read cover.
  2. Psalm 139:14 Following Masoretic Text and Targum; Septuagint, Syriac, and Vulgate read You are fearfully wonderful.
  3. Psalm 139:20 Septuagint and Vulgate read They take your cities in vain.
     Here is a link to the first chapter of Genesis:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+1&version=NKJV
   
   Perhaps you have had an abortion and feel very guilty about it and want forgiveness. Or perhaps you know of someone else who has had an abortion and they want forgiveness. Well, God will forgive anyone who sincerely wants it. He will forgive someone who has had an abortion, and he will forgive someone who has performed abortions. To find out how you can receive his forgivenss for this or any other sin, click on the following link and read the important message given. Then, let me know if you have found forgiveness. Or, let me know if you have questions about the subject. My e-mail address is given above.
    Here is the link: http://www.godssimpleplan.org/gsps-english.html
   
    Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson,
Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

    Here is a link to the website from which this quote was taken: